U.S. Congressman Jim Clyburn at the South Carolina Democratic Party

 Today we got to talk to living legend Rep. James Clyburn, the only Black Representative from South Carolina in the U.S. House. He is an incredible speaker, and offered a lot of amazing insight for us, especially those of us who want to pursue careers like his. Here is one of my favorite quotes of his from the day: 

"When you're jumping in a campaign, it's like you're jumping in the trenches... It's not going to be a straightforward path."

He advised us that if we were going to chase an elected position, we should focus on connecting with the people in the community we represent. He said that voters should be hearing 'Here is what I will do for YOU, what I will do for your FAMILY, and what I will do for your COMMUNITY.' He really advised us to get to know the people we want to support us. I really loved a lot of what he had to say, and I feel he offered us some amazing advice. 

Comments

Popular Posts